Tiger Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis sp. “Tiger”) - Tank-Raised!
Along with their striking black stripes, these shrimp feature translucent golden-colored bodies that are speckled with shimmering, opaque gold dots.
The Tiger Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis sp. “Tiger”) is a very popular dwarf shrimp. It is slightly more sensitive than many of the Neocaridina dwarf shrimp, but is certainly not difficult to keep and is a great option for dedicated aquarists who are looking to try something new. Its body is typically an overall white or yellow color with the most concentrated yellow/gold at its head and tail. Its entire body is adorned with black stripes.
Another great characteristic of the Tiger Shrimp is that it will not interbreed with Neocaridina dwarf shrimp, so it will not compromise the genetics of breeding colonies of shrimp such as Cherry, Blue Velvet, Neon Yellow, Orange, Black/Blue Diamond, Chocolate, Snowball, and Rili shrimp.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content.
What We Like About This Shrimp:
- High quality coloration, great companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population.
- Origin: Tank-raised in and indigenous to Taiwan.
- Average Adult Size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inches (1.3 - 2.5 cm)