Taiwanese Beauty Shrimp (Caridina formosae)
$ 3.95 $ 4.49
This uncommon dwarf shrimp has colorful spotting across its body and is a very active scavenger!
The Taiwanese Beauty Shrimp (Caridina formosae) is a somewhat uncommon freshwater species that is native to Taiwan. It has a mostly transparent body that is typically decorated with colorful spotting, particularly shades of red. It is a relatively hardy shrimp that maintains a small adult size, even for a dwarf shrimp. It will breed readily in the aquarium, but there is some question as to the larval development of the fry. To our knowledge, it has not yet been bred on any large scale, but this might be possible.
The Taiwanese Beauty Shrimp, like most shrimp, lives in large colonies and spends most of its time foraging for food. It is a voracious eater of algae and detritus in the aquarium and is not only a very active, outgoing species, but it is also very useful as a solution to fighting algae issues It is also very effective in eating decaying plant matter, such as shed leaves and needles of aquarium plants. However, it does not bother or damage ornamental plants.
Care for the Taiwanese Beauty Shrimp is fairly simple and straightforward. It seems to prefer softer water, but not necessarily as acidic as its "bee-type" Caridina cantonensis cousins. It inhabits waterways that fluctuate widely in temperature and pH according to rainfall, so it will thrive in a variety of water parameters as long as it has very clean water that is not excessively alkaline.
The bulk of the Taiwanese Beauty Shrimp's diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up detritus in any aquarium. It feeds constantly and displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content. GlasGarten Bacter AE is also a superb food, as it will dramatically increase biofilm growth in the aquarium.
- Superb algae eater
- Relatively rare
- Completely peaceful disposition
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 64° - 78° F (18° - 25° C)
- pH: 6.4 - 7.2
- KH: 1 - 2 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily. Our Spirulina flakes and BacterAE make excellent staple food products for these shrimp.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: Taiwan, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 to 1 inch (1.3 to 2.5 cm)