Synodontis Alberon Catfish (Synodontis hybrid), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Synodontis Alberon Catfish is a new hybrid that boasts lovely coloration and is an excellent tankmate for many African cichlids as well as other medium to large fish!
The Synodontis Alberon Catfish (Synodontis hybrid) is a relatively new hybrid whose parent species are native to rift lakes and rivers of Africa. It has very attractive dark brown, tan, and cream colored striping and spotting. This catfish is also known for its tendency to swim upside-down as well as its ability to squeak or croak when removed from the water. It is often very active, especially for a catfish, and it is compatible with a wide variety of fish.
The Synodontis Alberon Catfish is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is generally peaceful and is compatible with most fish that are too large to be considered prey. Its parent species feed on invertebrates in the wild, so it should not be kept with ornamental invertebrates in the aquarium. It will not bother plants. It is a small to medium predator that produces a fair amount of waste and it is sensitive to declining water quality, so regular water changes and maintenance are a must.
The Synodontis Alberon Catfish is an unfussy eater that will accept most meaty live, frozen, and dry foods. It should also have regular vegetable matter. A varied diet is essential for optimal health and coloration.
- Very colorful, peaceful, and hardy scavengar
- Attains a very manageable adult size
- Will not bother plants
- Unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Compatible with many peaceful and aggressive fish species
- Temperature: 73° - 79° F (23° - 26° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.8
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75+ gallons is necessary for a small group
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will accept most live, frozen, and meaty foods of appropriate size. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Somewhat social and more active in groups.
- Origin: Tank-bred hybrid, parent species are indigenous to African rivers and rift lakes
- Average adult size: 4 - 8 inches (10 - 20.3 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)