Snyder's Barb (Puntius snyderi), Tank-Bred!
$ 8.19 $ 32.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Snyder's Barb is an uncommon species that develops incredible rainbow coloration as it matures!
The Snyder's Barb (Puntius snyderi) is a very peaceful schooling species that is an excellent fish for the community or planted aquarium. It matures to a rainbow-like multi-coloration that is unrivaled by most other species. It is rather exceptional in appearance, but not as often available as many more widespread barb species. It is native to Taiwan. When kept in larger groups, males will display their best coloration while competing to attract females.
The Snyder's Barb typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. It may prey on smaller dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can make good tankmates. The Snyder's Barb must be kept in groups of 6 or more, although larger groups are more ideal so that subdominant specimens are not bullied by dominant individuals during breeding behavior. Its natural habitat is subtropical stream areas that typically have clear water of moderate flow. It requires clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate. This fish is native to somewhat dimly-lit streams, so low-light plants such as Java Fern, Anubias species, and Bucephalandra (Buce) species are excellent plants for its aquarium.
While not a picky eater, the Snyder's Barb will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods, many of which should have spirulina or other vegetable content included. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Exquisite multi-coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates too large to be considered prey
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for subtropical setups
- Ideal for planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64 - 75° F (18 - 24° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 8.0
- KH: 2 - 20 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 30+ gallons for a group of 6 - 8
- Diet: Onivore. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet with vegetable matter for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Taiwan
- Average Adult Size: 2.6 - 3 inches (6.5 - 7.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)