* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Silver Flagtail Prochilodus is an excellent algae eater that reaches an impressive size and is a gentle giant that can often be kept with cichlids!
The Silver Flagtail Prochilodus (Semaprochilodus taeniurus) is a large, mostly herbivorous fish that is native to Brazil. It is a member of the characin (tetra) family. As an adult, it has an overall silver body with some spotting and red fins, except of course for its namesake black and yellow horizontally striped tail, which resembles the stripes of the US flag. It is a generally peaceful species, but it is very hardy and can often be kept with cichlids in a large enough aquarium. It is also an excellent tankmate for other peaceful, large fish such as stingrays, arowanas, knifefish, and many others. Tank-bred specimens of this fish are very rare.
The Silver Flagtail Prochilodus requires an aquarium with plenty of space, although decor such as driftwood and rock formationsis also necessary. A sandy substrate is also optimal. It is a relatively peaceful species, although it can be very aggressive with its own kind unless it is kept in a school of 6 or more in a large aquarium. It will graze on algae regularly, but it also might eat soft leaved plants and it sometimes will nibble on other plants as well. Only the most durable plants have a chance to survive with this species. While it is mostly herbivorous, it does occasionally prey on very small animals, so it should not be kept with tiny fish and smaller invertebrates. Powerful filtration and regular aquarium maintenance are also necessary for this predatory fish.
The Silver Flagtail Prochilodus is an omnivore that is mostly herbivorous. It should be fed fresh vegetables regularly, but it can also be fed a varied diet of frozen and dry foods that are high in vegetable content. It should also be fed a regular, but sparing amount of animal protein such as bloodworms, blackworms, and dry and frozen foods that contain animal protein. It will also get significant nutrition from algae if it is present in the aquarium.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Large and peaceful
- Excellent algae eater
- Durable and hardy
- Easy to keep
- Compatible with many other large species
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73°- 84° F (23° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5
- KH: 1 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 120+ gallons for a full-grown adult
- Diet: Omnivorous, but mostly herbivorous. Requires lots of vegetable matter supplemented with some animal protein
- Social behavior: Peaceful with most other fish, but can be aggressive toward its own kind in groups of less than 6 specimens
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Brazil
- Average adult size: Up to 12 inches (30 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!