Short Nose Algae Eating Shrimp (Caridina sp.) - .5" to 1"
The Short Nose Algae Eating Shrimp (Caridina sp.) is an excellent shrimp for eating algae in the aquarium. Like the Amano Shrimp, it is a far superior “cleaner” shrimp to the Ghost Shrimp (Macrobrochium sp.) because it is not predatory and will not present any dangers to other dwarf shrimp. For some aquarists with smaller nano aquariums, the Short Nose Algae Eating Shrimp is a better aquarium candidate than even the Amano shrimp due to its much smaller size and less aggressive feeding behavior. It has a mostly clear appearance with little to no coloration.
The Short Nose Algae Eating Shrimp is a low form breeder whose fry begin a planktonic phase in various water conditions, including water with widely varying salinity levels. Breeding in the aquarium is possible, but difficult and extremely uncommon.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will work diligently to clean up the waste in any aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content. As far as dwarf shrimp go, the Short Nose Algae Eating Shrimp is relatively hardy and can thrive in a fairly wide variety of water parameters.
- Durable companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Generally peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with most plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 68° - 82° F (20° - 27° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 1 - 5 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful.
- Origin: India, Southeast Asia
- Average Adult Size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5 - 1 inches (1.3 - 2.5 cm)