Rummy-Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri) - Tank-Raised!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Rummy-Nose Tetra (Hemigrammus bleheri), also known as the Firehead Tetra, is a very popular schooling community fish. Its red-orange nose and horizontally striped black and white tail make it a very distinctive aquarium fish.
The Rummy-Nose Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but adult Rummy-Nose Tetras may eat small dwarf shrimp and their fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Rummy-Nose Tetras must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since they are tank-raised, Rummy-Nose Tetras are fairly adaptable, but their natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Rummy-Nose Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried tubifex and bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
- Unique red-orange facial coloration and black and white striped tail
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable schooling fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)