Red Tiger Bee Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis var. "Red Tiger Bee"), A-S Grade, TANK-RAISED!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we ship Red Tiger Bee Shrimp exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This lovely shrimp is a very colorful and unique bee shrimp variant that is perfect for aquarists who want to go beyond Crystal Shrimp!
The Red Tiger Bee Shrimp (Caridina cantonensis var. “Red Tiger”), is an increasingly popular dwarf shrimp. This interesting Bee/Tiger variant displays bold red, white, and transparent coloration in a variety of patterns. It is comparable in care to all other bee shrimp varieties, such as Crystal Red/Black, Blue/Black Bolt, and Tiger Shrimp. It is a highly attractive Caridina bee variety.
Another great characteristic of the Red Tiger Bee Shrimp is that it is a highly colorful and attractive companion colony to any Neocaridina variety of dwarf shrimp. The Red Tiger Bee Shrimp cannot interbreed with Neocaridina dwarf shrimp, so it will not compromise the genetics of breeding colonies of shrimp such as Cherry, Blue Velvet, Neon Yellow, Orange, Black/Blue Diamond, Chocolate, Green Jade, Snowball, and Rili shrimp.
This shrimp is a scavenger and is very useful in planted and nano aquariums. The bulk of its diet is biofilm, algae, and decaying plant matter so it will forage diligently in the aquarium. It feeds constantly, so it displays constant activity. In a less mature aquarium, it should be fed high quality flake and mini pellet dry foods with high algae/spirulina/plant content, preferably food that is designed for shrimp or other biofilm grazers.
Like most “bee” and “tiger” Caridina species, the Red Tiger Bee Shrimp requires very clean, calm water at all times. Most keepers of bee and tiger shrimp insist that reverse osmosis water is absolutely necessary for keeping and breeding this shrimp. Acidic water of a low pH is also a necessity, and it can be achieved with leaf litter as well as other buffering substrates and additives.
What We Like About This Shrimp:
- High quality coloration, great companion colony to Neocaridina shrimp
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with ornamental plants
- Excellent scavenger
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 64° - 84° F (17.8° - 28.8° C), though the lower half of this range is much preferred.
- pH: 6.2-6.8
- KH: 0 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates . Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-raised in and indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!