Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma erythrura) - TANK-BRED!!!
$ 39.95 $ 79.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid is a standout among standouts in the world of dwarf cichlids, with mature males displaying incredible multi-coloration and extended dorsal fin rays!
The Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma erythrura) is a somewhat newly described dwarf cichlid species that hails from Bolivia. Males have a distinct red tail and typically display a wide array of multiple bright colors on the body. Mature females are mostly a tan or vibrant yellow with some black coloration. As with virtually all dwarf cichlids, mature males have more vivid coloration than females.
The Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of room. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Red Tail Rio Mamore Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sexed subadults/young adults of this magnificent species!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Exceptional coloration, even for a dwarf cichlid
- Uncommon Apistogramma species
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 84° F (22° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.0- 7.0 for tank-raised specimens
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 10-15 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 2.2 inches (5.5 cm) for males, 1.6 inches (4 cm) for females
- Average purchase size: 1-1.5 inch (2.5 – 3.8 cm)