* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Red Actino Halfbeak is a very rare nano species that is very colorful and is a wonderful top-dweller for the nano and planted community aquarium!
The Red Actino Halfbeak (Hemirhamphodon phaiosoma) is a very rare and interesting oddball species that is excellent for the nano or planted aquarium. Unlike many livebearing halfbeaks, this species is an egg-layer. This fish is a nearly exclusive surface dweller, so it is a great choice to occupy the upper level of the aquarium. It is a somewhat gregarious species and it will shoal when kept in groups. This fish is completely peaceful with other species.
The Red Actino Halfbeak is native to calm waterways with lots of floating vegetation, which of course somewhat diffuses bright light. This species is native to blackwater habitats and needs soft water. Like many halfbeaks, it is sensitive to deteriorating water quality as well as sudden changes in water parameters. It will thrive on a variety of high-quality live, frozen, and dry foods and, if available, gut-loaded fruit flies. Due to its small size and top-dwelling nature, it is possibly compatible with dwarf shrimp, although it is possible that it will prey on shrimp that are small enough to be eaten. It is completely peaceful with any invertebrates too large to fit in its mouth.
The Red Actino Halfbeak is a somewhat nervous fish and it can easily damage its long lower jaw by bumping into the aquarium glass when startled. This can be prevented by positioning plant vegetation along the sides and back of the aquarium walls. The Borneo Redline Halfbeak is a proficient jumper, so a secure lid or at least plenty of surface vegetation is necessary in the aquarium.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very rare species
- Interesting oddball surface dweller
- Beautiful coloration
- Small size, perfect for planted aquariums
- Peaceful disposition
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 75° - 82° F (24° - 28° C)
- pH: 4.0 - 6.0
- KH: 1 - 5 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons for a small group
- Diet: Micropredator. Frozen and live meaty foods such as bloodworms, gut-loaded fruit flies, and/or high-quality dry food.
- Social behavior: Loosely shoaling/schooling. Keeping this fish in groups often reduces nervous behavior.
- Origin: Indonesia
- Average adult size: 2 - 2.4 inches (5 - 6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!