Purple Matano Crab (Syntripsa matannensis)
The Purple Matano Crab (Syntripsa matannensis) is a fully aquatic freshwater crab that is relatively new to the aquarium hobby. As its name states, it is native to Lake Matano in the Sulawesi lake system of Indonesia. There are very few truly aquatic freshwater crabs, so we are very excited to offer this crab for your home aquarium!
Care for the Purple Matano Crab is nearly identical to the very popular Panther Crab (Parathelphusa pantherina), although the Purple Matano Crab seems to be generally smaller and less aggressive. Like all Sulawesi animals, it requires water with a much higher pH and temperature than many other freshwater animals. It is fairly hardy and undemanding as long as these conditions are met. Like nearly all crabs, it is an opportunistic, omnivorous scavenger that requires a varied diet of mostly meaty foods such as sinking pellets and frozen foods such as bloodworms. The Purple Matano Crab is territorial and must be provided with multiple hiding places, especially when kept with others of its kind. It can be safely kept with some active fish species, but there is no guarantee that it will not attempt to prey on sluggish or sleeping fish. As far as we know, it has not yet been bred in captivity on a widespread basis.
Though it is considered fully aquatic, the Purple Matano Crab is not afraid to leave the water. Like the Panther Crab, it is quite an escape artist and it must be kept in an aquarium with a fail-safe cover. While it does not require a land portion in its habitat, it will certainly use such a feature.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Bright purple and orange coloration
- Active and unique appearance and behavior
- Fairly uncommon in the aquarium trade
- Excellent scavenger
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 80-85° F (26.7° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 7.8-8.2
- KH: 5 - 8 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous scavenger. Sinking invert pellets and other meaty foods are necessary.
- Social Behavior: Aggressive and territorial. Ample hiding places are necessary for multiple specimens.
- Origin: Lake Matano, Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support directly from the owners!