Platinum AKA Gold Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma macmasteri) - TANK-BRED!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This breathtaking color morph is an exceptional variant of one of the greatest dwarf cichlids!
The Platinum Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid (Apistogramma macmasteri) is a remarkably striking variant that is very distinctive in its bright red facial coloration and white-gold body. Males are typically more colorful than females, but females are also very colorful and exceptional in coloration compared to most other female dwarf cichlids. This species is a true gem among all of the colorful Apistogramma species! The Platinum Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid is reportedly an excellent species to keep in groups of one male and a harem of multiple females.
The Platinum Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Platinum Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Platinum Red Shoulder Dwarf Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering sexed, sub-adult/young adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are displaying remarkable coloration, but their color will be even more vibrant as they mature further!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Exceptional coloration in both males and females
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Perfect species for the heavily planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 86° F (22° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 2 – 15 KH
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons for a pair, but a larger tank is required for a group
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Guaytiquia and Metica Rivers, Colombia
- Average adult size: 2 inches (5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 inches (3.8 cm)