Perugia's limia (Limia perugiae), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This Caribbean livebearer is a rarity in the aquarium hobby and an excellent species for the planted and community aquarium!
The Perugia's Limia (Limia perugiae) is a very unique, peaceful livebearer that thrives in the hardwater planted community aquarium. Native to freshwater streams in the Dominican Republic, it boasts blue iridescent coloration, especially in mature males. As with most livebearers, males are more colorful than females.
Perugia's Limia Livebearer typically occupies the top level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. This fish is not afraid to jump, so it must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. It will not eat or bother plants. It is safe with other peaceful fish but it might prey on dwarf shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Jamaican Blackbelly Limia Livebearer is best kept in groups in hard water. It typically will not thrive in very soft water, but it is otherwise very hardy.
While not a picky eater, the Perugia Limia Livebearer will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods supplemented with spirulina or other nutritious vegetable matter. High-quality and flake food, pellets, and frozen foods will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful blue-gray coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish, plants, and invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Ideal for the planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.5
- KH: 20 - 30 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 15 gallons for a small group of adults
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods and requires some vegetable matter.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Jamaica
- Average Adult Size: 1.6 inches (4 cm) for males, 2 inches (5 cm) for females
- Average Purchase Size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!