Pearlscale AKA Lowland Cichlid (Herichthys carpintis), Tank-Bred!
$ 4.19 $ 16.99
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Pearlscale Cichlid boasts striking turquoise coloration across its entire body and grows to an impressive, yet manageable size!
The Pearlscale Cichlid (Herichthys carpintis), also known as the Lowland Cichlid, is a large North Mexican cichlid species that matures to beautiful overall turquoise body coloration, although juveniles also typically display a great deal of color. It is not bred as commonly and frequently as many other New World cichlid species. It is, however, a very majestic and rewarding species that is long-lived and worthy of centerpiece display in the large aquarium. It is a robust and fairly aggressive species with plenty of personality and striking coloration. Males often develop a characteristic nuchal hump. This species is often mislabeled as its close relative the Green/Blue Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatus).
The Pearlscale Cichlid will thrive in a large aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge, particularly in the form of rockwork and driftwood, but it also needs plenty of open space. It does consume some plant matter, so artificial plants are a better choice for decor than live plants (if plants are used at all). Like many cichlids, this species is known to sometimes rearrange decor to its liking, so it is necessary to avoid "avalanches" of decorative stones and driftwood. This cichlid has a powerful bite and can be aggressive, so care must be taken in choosing tankmates. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Due to the eventual adult size of the Pearlscale Cichlid, it should not be kept with ornamental invertebrates. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be avoided altogether. It should also be noted that the Pearlscale Cichlid is typically more peaceful with tankmates when it is grown up with them from juvenile age rather than introduced as an adult. Powerful filtration and regular water changes are necessarry for this large species.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Pearlscale Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted, but plenty of vegetable matter (such as spirulina flakes or pellets) is also necessary. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are currently offering juvenile specimens of this magnificent fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful turquoise coloration across its entire body
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Rather uncommon species
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 75° - 79° F (24° - 26° C)
- pH: 7.0
- KH: 8 - 14 KH
- Minimum tank size: 75+ gallons for 1 mature adult or pair
- Diet: Omnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Plenty of vegetable matter (blanched spinach, shelled peas, spirulina) is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups as a juvenile. Both males and females can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to northern Mexico
- Average adult size: Up to 12 inches (30.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.6 cm)