Nigerian Floating AKA Guinea Hover Shrimp (Desmocaris trispinosa)
This unique shrimp is extremely uncommon and brand new to the aquarium hobby!
The Nigerian Floating AKA Guinea Hover Shrimp (Desmocaris trispinosa) is an unusual freshwater species that is native Central and West Africa. It is unique in that it will often appear to "float" in the middle of the water column, hence the name Floating Shrimp. This behavior is seen more often in very low flow tanks. The Nigerian Floating Shrimp is mostly clear with hints of gold, similar in appearance to the Short Nose Algae Shrimp (Caridina Longirostris). It's appearance does differ in that it has much larger, almost bug-like eyes.
The Nigerian Floating Shrimp, like most shrimp, lives in large colonies and spends most of its time foraging for food. Protein-rich food is appreciated, but it will likely accept any shrimp food. It is also very effective scavenger and will eat decaying plant matter, such as shed leaves and needles of aquarium plants. However, it does not bother or damage ornamental plants.
Care requirements for the the Nigerian Floating Shrimp are relatively simple. That being said, it should be kept in a well-established, low flow aquarium to truly thrive. Nigerian Floating shrimp are typically found in swamp like areas with minimal flow, so replicating a similar type environment is ideal.
- Extremely rare
- Unique appearance and behavior
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons, recommended 10 gallon minimum for a colony
- Temperature: 71° - 82° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- dGH: 3 - 20
- dKH: 1 - 3
- TDS: 100 - 400
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Protein rich foods appreciate 3-5x weekly.
- Aquatic Arts Snowflake Premium Shrimp Food & Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules Premium Shrimp Food are excellent supplements to the diet of any shrimp. Give them a try and your shrimp will thank you for the tasty treat!
- Natural Botanicals are a great way to boost the immune system of your shrimp and they will also provide lots of essential biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.
- Social behavior: Peaceful
- Origin: West and Central Africa
- Average adult size: 1.8 inch (4.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 to 1 inch (1.3 to 2.5 cm)