Longfin Moon Dragon Electric Blue Ram Dwarf Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) - Locally Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are now offering LOCALLY BRED juveniles/sub-adults of this very popular dwarf cichlid. These fish are bred by an expert breeder and delivered directly to our facility, which eliminates the otherwise much more stressful and extensive inbound shipment. This is particularly beneficial with dwarf cichlids, which can be sensitive in lengthy shipment.
This is a rare longfin variety of the classic Electric Blue Ram Cichlid. It boasts long flowing fins, which are the source of the "Moon Dragon" nickname. This strain was bred locally, just minutes from our facility.
The Longfin Moon Dragon Electric Blue Ram Cichlid (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi) is a very beautiful, rare, tank-bred variant of its species. This particular variant is known for its flowing fins and the incredible neon blue coloration that covers almost its entire body in both males and females. Rams and other dwarf cichlids are very popular among aquarists due to their vivid coloration, small size, and interesting personalities. Dwarf cichlids are much less aggressive than most larger cichlids.
The Longfin Moon Dragon Electric Blue Ram Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It is an excellent candidate for the planted aquarium, but it also needs a fair amount of open space. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish as long as it has plenty of space. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Longfin Moon Dragon Electric Blue Ram Cichlid, but more durable, larger shrimp and snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Longfin Moon Dragon Electric Blue Ram Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering locally bred juvenile/sub-adult specimens of this magnificent species. They are already displaying superb coloration, but will be even more colorful as they mature. We are not currently offering sexed specimens, but may do so in the future if possible.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful neon blue coloration across most of the body in both males and females
- Rare Moon Dragon variety
- Hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 78.8° - 86° F (26° - 30° C), although 82°+ F (28°+ C) is optimal
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5, tank-raised specimens are more flexible regarding pH level
- KH: 0 - 10 KH
- Minimum tank size: 20-30 gallons for a small group, but a larger aquarium should be used for a community of several species
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Males can be territorial when attempting to spawn and females are very protective of their eggs during spawning.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1.4 – 1.6 inches
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.2 inches (2.5 – 3 cm)