Miguelito AKA Virginia's Cory Catfish (Corydoras virginiae)
$ 43.95 $ 48.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Miguelito Cory Catfish is a rather uncommon, extremely peaceful species that grows to an impressive size for a cory!
The Miguelito Cory Catfish (Corydoras virginiae) is an uncommon and attractively marked species that is native to Peru. It has similar markings to "panda" and "skunk"-type cory catfish, but with a thicker body shape. It is a very animated, distinctively marked schooling fish that is perfect for the nano, community, and planted aquarium.
The Miguelito Cory Catfish is a very peaceful schooling fish that is compatible with most nano aquarium animals, including dwarf cichlids and angelfish. It might prey on some smaller dwarf shrimp, but is safe with larger shrimp and most other peaceful ornamental invertebrates. It is a classic scavenger and will inhabit and feed at the aquarium floor. Very coarse substrate can damage its delicate barbels and underbelly, so it should be kept in an aquarium with sand or very smooth gravel substrate. This fish is otherwise undemanding as it will accept most dry, frozen, and live foods. It is adaptable to most tropical freshwater conditions as long as standard regular maintenance is performed and sudden changes are avoided.
- Uncommon in the aquarium hobby
- Very peaceful and hardy addition to almost any aquarium
- Compatible with most adult dwarf shrimp and other invertebrates
- Thrives in schools in well-planted aquaria
- Distinctive coloration and group schooling behavior.
- Temperature: 72° - 82.4° F (22° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5. Softer water is preferred, but this fish is somewhat flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided.
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15 gallons for a school of 6
- Diet: High-quality dry foods as well as live and frozen meaty foods. Variety is essential.
- Social behavior: Peaceful; requires a school of 4 - 8 or more to thrive.
- Origin: Rio Ucayali, Peru
- Average adult size: 2 - 2.4 inches (5 - 6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1+ inch (2.5+ cm)