Marble Batik Crab (Metasesarma obesum)
$ 12.95 $ 16.95
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship this crab exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
PLEASE NOTE: This species is a semi-terrestrial crab. Its habitat must be at least half (and preferably more) land with freshwater. This crab also inhabits saltwater and brackish areas. It is an ideal paludarium animal.
The Marble Batik Crab is a communal, semi-terrestrial crab with striking markings. It is an excellent paludarium species and can also be kept in mangrove setups!
The Marble Batik Crab (Metasesarma obesum) is a small, very colorful, semi-terrestrial species that is native throughout many coastal and island areas in Southeast Asia. It inhabits forest areas near streams, rivers, and ponds as well as marine shorelines. It spends most of its time on land, but also often submerges in freshwater and saltwater. It molts on land and it is communal with its own species, though males will sometimes fight in the confines of a smaller enclosure. It breeds similarly to other mangrove species whose fry develop in saltwater.
In nature, the Marble Batik Crab lives in leaf litter and vegetation. In the paludarium, it requires ample land area. It typically will not eat healthy plants, but it will often help keep them clean and it may consume dead leaves. Like most crabs, it needs plenty of cover, especially when molting, so lots of decor is necessary. While it is communal with its own species, it is often aggressive with other types of crabs. It is a skilled climber, so extra care must be taken to ensure that it does not escape its enclosure.
Like most crabs, the Marble Batik Crab is an omnivorous scavenger and an opportunistic hunter on occasion. It may feed on filamentous algae and detritus in the paludarium and will also readily accept high-quality fish foods. Fresh and dried vegetables are also excellent food sources, as are insects, worms, and other invertebrates. It reportetly prefers animal matter over plant matter. Due to its opportunistic nature, the Marble Batik Crab might eat other ornamental invertebrates and fish, so its tankmates must be chosen with great care.
- Generally peaceful with its own species
- Fascinating behavior and beautiful coloration
- Ideal for paludariums
- Easy to feed
- Excellent scavenger
- Temperature: 75° - 82° F (24° - 28° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.0
- KH: 4 - 10 dKH
- Humidity: 75+%
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a male and 2 females. Larger colonies require larger tanks.
- Diet: Omnivorous. High-quality sinking flakes and pellets, plants/algae, fruits, and freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted. Cuttlebone or a similar material should be added to the aquarium to supplement calcium, which will aid in exoskeleton production
- Social behavior: Peaceful with its own species. May fight with or prey on other species.
Origin: Southeast Asia
- Average adult size: 3 - 5 inches (7.5 - 12.5 cm) or less
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)