Leaf Goblinfish AKA Butterfly Goby (Neovespicula depressifrons)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
**WARNING: THIS FISH IS VENOMOUS, HANDLE WITH CARE**
The Leaf Goblinfish is a ultra-unique, oddball brackish species that is very uncommon in the aquarium hobby!
The Leaf Goblinfish (Neovespicula depressifrons) is a very rare oddball species that is found in marine and brackish waters through the Indo-West Pacific. This unique fish maintains a very manageable size and temperament. The Leaf Goblinfish is a fascinating, rare fish that is a great candidate for the ultimate oddball fish keeper. Like other scorpaeniformes (scorpionfish), these tetrarogids are venomous, specifically having glands at the base of certain spines, so take care when netting them and during maintenance. This fish is often referred to as the "Butterfly Goby," but it is not a goby.
The Leaf Goblinfish is a micropredator in nature. It is known to accept frozen and live meaty foods of appropriate size. This fish typically does not accept dry foods. As long as it is kept in a well-maintained, mature aquarium, the Leaf Goblinfish is a hardy and entertaining fish. It will not bother aquarium plants. While it can live temporarily in full freshwater conditions, it requires at least lightly brackish water for long-term health and we maintain this species in brackish water at our facility.
Most similarly sized, peaceful fish are good tankmates for the Leaf Goblinfish. While a venomous predator, the Leaf Goblinfish is rather delicate, so it is best kept without any nippy, boisterous, or aggressive fish.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Unique appearance
- Peaceful disposition with fish not considered prey
- Ultimate oddball fish
- Interesting fish to watch eat
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 7.0 - 8.0
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons for a single specimen or pair, 75+ gallons for a group
- Diet: Micropredator. Requires high-quality frozen and live foods of appropriate size. Dry foods will likely be ignored.
- Social behavior: Peaceful with fish large enough to not be viewed as food. Not advised to house with shrimp as they may prey upon shrimp but can be kept with similar sized fish.
- Origin: West Indo-Pacific
- Average adult size: 4 inches (10 cm)
- Average purchase size: .75 - 1 inches (2 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!