Large Finned Lampeye Killifish (Procatopus nototaenia)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This Large Finned Lampeye Killifish is another uncommon killifish species that matures to brilliant multicoloration, especially in males!
The Large Finned Lampeye Killifish (Procatopus nototaenia) is a peaceful fish that is an excellent species for the planted aquarium. Its "lampeye" name refers to the horizontal crescent at the top of its eye that seems to “glow” under the aquarium light. It is much more colorful than most other lampeye species due to its iridescent multi-coloration, especially in the case of males. Native to southwestern Cameroon, this fish is excellent for even beginners. It will often spawn in the aquarium and it is a non-annual killifish that is much longer lived than some of its "annual" relatives.
The Large Finned Lampeye Killifish occupies the top level of the water column almost exclusively. It is not afraid to jump, so it must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. It will not eat or bother plants and it will appreciate the cover, especially with floating plants. This species inhabits areas of significant water flow, so it requires similar conditions in the aquarium, and it is not particularly tolerant of declining water quality.
While this fish is compatible with other peaceful fish and invertebrate species that thrive in a planted aquarium, care must be taken to not add species that will outcompete the Large Finned Lampeye Killifish for food. Also, other fish species will eat most of the fry of the Neon Stripe Lampeye Killifish when it is spawning, so other tankmate species are not recommended if dedicated breeding and rearing of fry is desired. While many killifish are kept in pairs, the Large Finned Lampeye Killifish seems to thrive and show the best coloration in groups. It will feel most secure when kept in groups of 6 or more. It is safe with adult dwarf shrimp, but like most fish, it may eat some shrimp fry.
The Large Finned Lampeye Killifish is not necessarily a picky eater, but it requires a varied diet of foods that can be consumed at the top of the water column. High quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods of manageable size will all be accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Vibrant multi-coloration with maturity, especially in males
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Easy to breed in the aquarium
- Safe with adult dwarf shrimp
- Perfect for the heavily planted aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 77° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 5.8 - 7.5
- KH: 1 – 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 15-20 gallons for a group of 6 or more
- Diet: Micropredator. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling. Must be kept in schools of 6 or more. This peaceful, timid species is easily outcompeted for food by more boisterous species.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Western Africa
- Average adult size: Males - 2.4 inches (6 cm), Females - 1.5 inches (3.75 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 – 1.5 inches (2.5 – 3.8 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!