* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Leopard Cactus Pleco is one of the most beautifully marked loricariid species and we are proud to offer tank-bred specimens!
The L600/LDA073 Leopard Cactus Pleco (Pseudacanthicus leopardus) is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. This omnivorous species is known for its "spiny" odontodes reticulated body pattern, and the bold orange coloration of its dorsal fin and tail. It can grow to a rather impressive size, but not so large that it will outgrow a reasonably large aquarium. The "L600" catalog number for this fish is not official. In fact, some experts consider it to be the same species or superspecies as the L114/LDA007 Redtail Sternella Pleco.
Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Leopard Cactus Pleco grows to a size of 13.8 inches (35 cm). While this is still a large size, it is well within the realistic range of well-maintained aquariums of 125 gallons or larger (for a full-grown adult). This species is somewhat territorial, so care must be taken when housing it with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers. This fish produces substantial waste, so regular water changes and powerful filtration are an absolute necessity for its aquarium.
The Leopard Cactus Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not an effective algae eater. It is not known to eat wood like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film and algae on driftwood). The Leopard Cactus Pleco will not eat ornamental plants, but it might inadvertantly destroy delicate plants with its movement as an adult. Feed the Leopard Cactus Pleco a diet of meaty live, frozen, and dry foods as well as vegetables such as shelled peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber. It will also eat some fruits and boiled potatoes.
What We Like About This Fish:
- A unique and hardy addition to the large aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not eat ornamental plants
- Unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Exceptional markings
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 75° - 84° F (25° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 1 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 125+ gallons for a full grown adult
- Diet: Omnivorous. Requires meaty foods supplemented with vegetable matter.
- Social behavior: Generally solitary and somewhat territoral with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Amazon River system
- Average adult size: 13.8 inches (35 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 2 inches (1.2 - 5.1 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!