* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The L160 Spiny Monster Pleco is a very unique, mostly carnivorous species that is somewhat well known in the hobby. We are happy to offer tank-bred specimens, which are not often seen elsewhere!
The L160 Spiny Monster Pleco (Pseudacanthicus spinosus) is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. This mostly carnivorous species is known for its "spiny" odontodes and black spots that appear all over its body. It can grow to a rather impressive size, but not so large that it will outgrow a reasonably large aquarium.
Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Spiny Monster Pleco grows to a size of 10 inches (25.4 cm). While this is still a large size, it is well within the realistic range of well-maintained aquariums of 75 gallons or larger. This species is somewhat territorial, so care must be taken when housing it with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers. This fish produces substantial waste, so regular water changes and powerful filtration are an absolute necessity for its aquarium.
The Spiny Monster Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not known to eat wood like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film and algae on driftwood). The Spiny Monster Pleco is generally safe with ornamental plants, and it will not significantly eat algae in the aquarium. Feed the Spiny Monster Pleco a diet of mostly meaty foods. It will also appreciate being fed some fresh vegetables such as shelled peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber as a supplement.
What We Like About This Fish:
- A unique and hardy addition to the large aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not eat ornamental plants
- Unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Exceptional markings
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 75° - 84° F (25° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.8 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75+ gallons for a full-grown adult
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. Requires meaty foods supplemented with vegetable matter.
- Social behavior: Generally solitary and somewhat territoral with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Amazon River system
- Average adult size: 10 inches (25.4 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!