* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The L014 Sunshine Goldie Pleco is a highly sought-after species due to its size and stunning coloration, and we have EXTREMELY rare tank-bred specimens!
The L014 Sunshine Goldie Pleco (Scobinancistrus aureatus) is an extremely colorful suckermouth catfish species that is native to the Rio Xingu in Brazil. It is among the most popular pleco species for the larger aquarium due to the striking coloration that is displays at all stages of its life and its ideal "big but not TOO big" adult size. It inhabits very warm, oxygen rich waterways and it is often an excellent scavenger and bottom feeder in large displays of discus, angelfish, and other South American Cichlids. The Sunshine Goldie Pleco typically commands a very high price for wild-caught specimens, which often have a harder adjustment to aquarium life. We are glad to offer very rare tank-bred juveniles of this magnificent species!
Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Sunshine Goldie Pleco grows to a size of up to 12 inches (30.5 cm). While this is still a large size, it is well within the realistic range of well-maintained aquariums of 125 gallons or larger (for a full-grown adult). This species is somewhat territorial, so care must be taken when housing it with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers. This fish produces substantial waste, so regular water changes and powerful filtration are an absolute necessity for its aquarium.
The Sunshine Goldie Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not an effective algae eater. It is not known to eat wood like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film and algae on driftwood). The Sunshine Goldie Pleco typically will not eat ornamental plants, but it might inadvertantly destroy delicate plants with its movement as an adult. It will prey on most ornamental invertebrates. Feed the Sunshine Goldie Pleco a diet of meaty live, frozen, and dry foods as well as vegetables such as peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber. It will also eat some fruits and boiled potatoes. Unlike many plecos, it will eat the skin of vegetables first.
What We Like About This Fish:
- A unique and hardy addition to the large aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not eat ornamental plants
- Unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Exceptional markings
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 77° - 84.2° F (25° - 29° C)
- pH: 5.8 - 7.2 (somewhat flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 0 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 125+ gallons for a full grown adult
- Diet: Omnivorous. Requires meaty foods and vegetable matter.
- Social behavior: Generally solitary and somewhat territoral with other nocturnal bottom-dwellers
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Rio Xingu, Brazil
- Average adult size: Up to 12 inches (30.5cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 2.4 inches (5.1 - 6.1 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!