* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The L001 Gold Spot Pleco is an excellent fish for the larger aquarium and is one of the large pleco species that grows to a still manageable size!
The L001 Gold Spot Pleco (Pterygoplichthys joselimaianus) is a member of the Loricariidae family of South American suckermouth catfishes. It can grow to a rather impressive size, but not so large that it will outgrow a reasonably large aquarium. Its gold spotting is very attractive and distinctive. This species is a generally peaceful fish that is extremely hardy and capable of cohabitating with most other tropical freshwater species.
Unlike the widely-seen Common Pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) and Trinidad Pleco (Hypostomus punctatus), which easily reach a monstrous size of 18 to 20+ inches (45 to 51+ cm), the Gold Spot Pleco grows to a size of 12 inches (30.5 cm). While this is still a large size, it is well within the realistic range of well-maintained aquariums of 75 gallons or larger. Male plecos may be somewhat territorial with other males of their species, but disputes can usually be diffused by providing ample territory and hiding places for each fish. All other tankmates will be generally ignored, although it is possible that small shrimp might fall prey to the Gold Spot Pleco. This fish produces substantial waste, so regular water changes and powerful filtration are an absolute necessity for its aquarium.
The Gold Spot Pleco is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not known to eat wood like some plecos (Panaque sp., etc.), but it may benefit from some supplementary wood (or bio-film and algae on driftwood). The Gold Spot Pleco will not eat ornamental plants, but it will eat plenty of algae in the aquarium, especially as a juvenile. Feed the Gold Spot Pleco a diet heavy in vegetable matter, including high-quality vegetable flakes, sinking algae wafers and pellets. It will also appreciate being fed some fresh vegetables such as shelled peas, spinach, zucchini and cucumber. Occasional meaty foods such as bloodworms are also beneficial when fed sparingly. This fish eats constantly, so too much meat/animal protein in its diet can be unhealthy for the fish as well as the level of waste it produces in the aquarium.
What We Like About This Fish:
- The L001 Gold Spot Pleco is a very peaceful and hardy addition to the large aquarium.
- This is one of the more manageable "large" plecos.
- This fish will not bother most plants, but it will likely help with algae control, especially as a juvenile. It will also scavenge and consume most uneaten fish food.
- The L001 Gold Spot Pleco is an aquarium fish with a unique appearance as well as plenty of personality.
- Exceptional markings, especially as a juvenile
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 75° - 84° F (24° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5 (flexible as long as sudden changes are avoided)
- KH: 6 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75+ gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous, but meatier foods should only be fed sparingly.
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, but will socialize somewhat, especially during breeding.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Rio Araguaya, Brazil.
- Average adult size: 12 inches (30.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!