* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Indonesian Gold Tigerfish is a magnificent fish for the large predator aquarium!
The Indonesian Gold Tigerfish (Datnioides microlepis) is a perch species that is well-known in the aquarium hobby and is a particular favorite of enthusiasts of large freshwater predators. It inhabits deep freshwater rivers and is not believed to inhabit brackish or marine water, unlike some other datnoid species. It reaches an impressive adult size and requires a large aquarium, but it is an excellent ornamental fish that is graceful and beautifully marked.
The Indonesian Gold Tigerfish is a somewhat reclusive species, especially when getting settled into a new aquarium. It is not a particularly aggressive fish, but it has a large mouth and will eat fish and invertebrates that are small enough to be considered prey. As a juvenile, it is somewhat gregarious, but is typically solitary as an adult. Adult specimens can sometimes be territorial with one another and should only be kept together in large groups within an exceptionally large aquarium. While it is a reasonably hardy species, the Indonesian Gold Tigerfish requires a large aquarium with plenty of space and powerful filtration. Some decor in the form of rrockwork and driftwood as well as floating plants will be appreciated.
The Indonesian Gold Tigerfish is a predator. It requires a varied diet for optimal health, and it likely will need live and frozen meaty foods initially. In time, it may also accept dry foods.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful markings
- Hardy and outgoing once established in the aquarium
- Peaceful with most fish too large to be considered prey
- Ideal "community" large fish/predator
- Will not eat plants
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 82° F (20° - 28° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.5
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 150 gallons
- Diet: Carnivorous. Requires a variety of meaty live, frozen, and dry foods
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, peaceful with species too large to be considered prey
- Origin: Western Indonesia
- Average adult size: Up to 18 inches (46 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!