Humpbacked AKA Black-Barred Limia Livebearer (Limia nigrofasciatus), Tank-Raised!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This attractive and unusual livebearer is peaceful and perfect for the planted community aquarium!
The Humpbacked Limia Livebearer (Limia nigrofasciata), also known as the Black-Barred Livebearer, is a very unique, peaceful livebearer that thrives in the planted community aquarium. It has several vertical black stripes over a lovely blue-gray coloration across most of its body and often has bright yellow coloration its throat and fins. As with most livebearers, males are more colorful than females.
The Humpbacked Limia Livebearer typically occupies the top level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. This fish is not afraid to jump, so it must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. It will not eat or bother plants. It is safe with other peaceful fish but it might prey on dwarf shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Humpbacked Limia Livebearer is best kept in groups in neutral to hard water. It typically will not thrive in very soft water.
While not a picky eater, the Humpbacked Limia Livebearer will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of omnivorous foods supplemented with spirulina or other nutritious vegetable matter. High-quality and flake food, pellets, and frozen foods will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful blue-gray and yellow coloration with vertical black stripes
- Peaceful disposition with fish and larger peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 72° - 79° F (22° - 26° C)
- pH: 7.0-8.0
- KH: 10-25 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 15 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods and requires some vegetable matter.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-raised, but indigenous to Haiti and Dominican Republic
- Average Adult Size: 2.5 inches (6.4 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5-1 inch (1.3-2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!