Green Lace Filter Shrimp (Atyopsis pilipes)
The Green Lace Filter Shrimp (Atyopsis pilipes) is a close relative to the Singapore Flower/Bamboo Shrimp (Atyopsis moluccensis) and has identical care requirements, but is much more rare. This completely peaceful shrimp can be kept in just about any nano or planted aquarium and is no threat to dwarf shrimp. It has a highly variable coloration, including nearly clear overall coloration with spots similar to Amano Shrimp, but it is most commonly a marbled green or green-blue.
The Green Lace Filter Shrimp is a filter feeding shrimp and will position itself in areas of highest water flow and use its filtering appendages to pull microorganisms and other fine food items from the water. In aquariums with multiple specimens, it is fun to see several of these shrimp gathered in one area feeding together. This species is completely safe for dwarf shrimp aquariums, but it does not tolerate temperatures as low as most dwarf shrimp can tolerate.
This shrimp is known as a low-form spawner, meaning that its fry go through several complex larval planktonic stages in a wide variety of water conditions. As a result, large-scale spawning in captivity has not yet been reported.
- A rare alternative or companion to Bamboo Shrimp (aka Singapore Flower Shrimp)
- Completely peaceful with non-aggressive tankmates, including dwarf shrimp
- Safe with all plants
- Variable and attractive coloration
- Temperature: 70° - 78° F (21° - 25.5° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 3 - 10 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous filter feeder and scavenger. Accepts most high quality flake foods and small filter foods. Weaning to dry food is more likely with groups of this fish
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. Can be kept singly but will also happily congregate in groups
- Origin: Southeast Asia
- Average adult size: 3 inches (8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2.5 inches (2.5 - 6.4 cm)