Green Axelrodi Rasbora (Sundadanio axelrodi "Green")
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This very rare, sensitive, brilliantly-marked fish is quite possibly the "Holy Grail" of microrasboras!
The Green Axelrodi Rasbora (Sundadanio axelrodi "Green ") is a very rare and beautiful nano fish that is highly desired among aquarists due to its coloration, schooling behavior, peaceful disposition, and very small size. This schooling fish can be the highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the planted aquarium. With optimal diet and care, this species displays bright green or turquoise coloration, especially in males. There are several color varieties of this species, and they are believed to be from different geographic populations in Borneo and various areas of Indonesia. This fish is challenging to keep and does not tolerate fluctuating water conditions.
The Green Axelrodi Rasbora typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish, but it is easily intimidated so tankmates must be chosen with care. Due to its extra small size and peaceful demeanor, it can be safely kept with dwarf shrimp. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Green Axelrodi Rasbora must be kept in schools of 6 or more, although much larger schools of 20+ are more ideal. The schooling behavior of a large group of this fish is fascinating. Its natural habitat typically has slow water flow and contains acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present. It should not be kept with overly boisterous tankmates that will outcompete it during feeding.
While not necessarily a picky eater, the Green Axelrodi Rasbora will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, Calanus, and cyclops will all be readily accepted.
Please note: This fish is a particularly sensitive species. Like most microrasboras, it does not like being removed from the water, even briefly. We highly recommend transporting it in a water-carrying shrimp net.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Incredible bright green to turquoise coloration
- Interesting schooling behavior, especially in very large schools
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates including dwarf shrimp
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73 - 79° F (23° - 26° C)
- pH: 4.0-7.0, acidic water is preferred
- KH: 3-12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Borneo, Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: .8 - .9 inches (2 - 2.2 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .25-.5 inch (.6-1.3 cm)