Golden Julie Cichlid (Julidochromis ornatus), Locally-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are now offering LOCALLY BRED specimens of this cichlid. These fish are bred by an expert breeder and delivered directly to our facility, which eliminates the otherwise much more stressful and extensive inbound shipment. This is particularly beneficial with this species, which can be sensitive in lengthy shipment.
The Golden Julie Cichlid is one of the most populr species of the Julidochromis genus due to its beautiful markings!
The Golden Julie Cichlid (Julidochromis ornatus) is a small and very active rock-dwelling cichlid that is native to many shoreline areas of Lake Tanganyika in Africa. In the wild, it spawns in rock caves and often forms breeding trios rather than pairs. Its entire body is covered in black, white, and gold patterns with a bright blue margin along the fins. It typically grows to a maximum size of 3 inches (7.5 cm) or less, with females growing larger than males.
The Golden Julie Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with piles of rocks that form some caves. Sand is the best substrate for this species. Mature fish will often claim and defend a small territory around their respective rock piles and caves. This cichlid mostly inhabits the middle and upper level of the water column, so it can often be kept (in a spacious tank) with Tanganyikan shell dwelling species that inhabit the lower areas of the water column. This species is small in size, but it can be very territorial with its own kind and similar fish that enter its territory. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Golden Julie Cichlid. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is of considerable size with ample cover/decor.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Golden Julie Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration, so this species should not be fed dry foods exclusively. While it is primarily a carnivore, it also requires vegetable matter in its diet.
We are currently offering locally bred adult specimens of this magnificent fish!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very popular in the aquarium hobby
- Very small size for a cichlid
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73.4° - 81° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 9.0
- KH: 9 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons for an adult pair, 55+ gallons for a group
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs and trios are often aggressive to all other fish.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but indigenous to Lake Tanganyika, Africa
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.5 cm) or less
- Average purchase size: 2 - 2.4 inches (5 - 6 cm) for subadults