Five Bar AKA Mini Frontosa Cichlid (Neolamprologus tretocephalus), Locally Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are now offering LOCALLY BRED specimens of this rare cichlid. These fish are bred by an expert breeder and delivered directly to our facility, which eliminates the otherwise much more stressful and extensive inbound shipment. This is particularly beneficial with this species, which can be sensitive in lengthy shipment.
This small to mid-sized rock dweller bears a striking resemblance to the much larger Frontosa Cichlid, but is its own distinct, beautiful species that is much less common!
The Five Bar Cichlid (Neolamprologus tretocephalus), also known as the Mini Frontosa Cichlid (although it is not closely related to the Frontosa), is a small to medium rock-dwelling cichlid that is native to Lake Tanganyika in Africa. It is much less common than many other Tanganyikan cichlids because it can be somewhat more challenging to breed. It is, however, a remarkable species that is very hardy and active in the aquarium, plus it has very striking, attractive coloration.
The Five Bar Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with piles of rocks that form some caves with plenty of open space as well. Sand is the best substrate for this species. Mature fish are notably aggressive and will often claim and defend a territory around their respective rock piles and caves. This cichlid can be sometimes be kept with other Tanganyikan cichlids that inhabit other areas of the water column if there is plenty of space in the tank. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning and this species should be housed with only one male/female pair per tank. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Five Bar Cichlid. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is of considerable size with ample cover/decor.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Five Bar Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration, so this species should not be fed dry foods exclusively.
We are currently offering juvenile specimens of this magnificent fish!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very uncommon in the aquarium hobby
- Small to medium size for a cichlid
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73.4° - 81° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 9.0
- KH: 8 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons for an adult pair
- Diet: Carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs are often aggressive to all other fish.
- Origin: Locally bred, but indigenous to Lake Tanganyika, Africa
- Average adult size: 6 inches (15 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm) for juveniles