Fisher's AKA Colombian Wood Catfish (Trachelyopterus fisheri), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Fisher's Wood Catfish is a graceful, gentle species that is an excellent tankmate for many cichlids and other medium to large fish!
The Fisher's Wood Catfish (Trachelyopterus fisheri) is a medium catfish species that is native to Colombia. It is known for its overall mottled coloration and graceful, deliberate manner of swimming. At a typical adult size of up to 11 inches (28 cm), it is not small by aquarium standards, but it maintains a manageable size for the large aquarium and it is an excellent tankmate for other medium to large fish, such as South and Central American Cichlids.
The Fisher's Wood Catfish is a somewhat gregarious species, although it is also fine as a single specimen in an aquarium. It is not as reclusive as many other wood catfish, but it definitely requires ample hiding places in the form of driftwood, pipes, or other crevices. Multiple specimens will sometimes wedge into the same refuge. This fish is not territorial or aggressive, but like most catfish, it will prey on anything small enough to fit in its mouth, so it should not be kept with small fish and invertebrates. It will not bother plants. It is not particularly sensitive, but like many scaleless fish, it will deteriorate from poor water quality and maintenance. The Fisher's Wood Catfish is capable of jumping, so a lid or significantly lowered water line is necessary for its aquarium.
Feeding is very simple for the Fisher's Wood Catfish. In the wild, it mainly feeds on small invertebrates and fish. In the aquarium, it will accept most live, frozen, and dry meaty foods. It is a voracious eater, so care should be taken not to overfeed. Inserting food near the fish's hiding place is very effective, although it will typically learn to come out of hiding with enthusiasm when food is available.
- Great tankmate for medium and large fish
- Completely peaceful with anything to large to be considered prey
- Excellent scavenger
- Will not bother plants
- Somewhat uncommon
- Temperature: 71° - 89° F (21.6° - 31.6° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 7.5
- KH: 2 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons
- Diet: Carnivorous. Will accept most dry, frozen, and live meaty foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, nocturnal, somewhat gregarious
Average adult size: 11 inches (28 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2 - 3 inches (5 - 7.5 cm)