Eyespot AKA Emerald Eye Rasbora (Brevibora dorsiocellata), Tank-Raised!!!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This uncommon rasbora is a very outgoing, active species that looks great in a planted aquarium with dark substrate!
The Eyespot Rasbora (Brevibora dorsiocellata), also known as the Emerald Eye, Ocellated, or Green Eyed Rasbora, is a lesser-known, small rasbora species that is not often seen in the US. This schooling fish can be a highlight in any peaceful community aquarium and it is a particular standout in the nano or planted aquarium with dark substrate, where its silver coloration and dorsal fin "eye spot" can be very clearly seen. It seems to be noticeably more durable than many other small rasboras.
The Eyespot Rasbora typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. This small rasbora can be housed with adult dwarf shrimp, although it might prey on shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Eyespot Rasbora must be kept in schools of 6 or more, although larger schools are more ideal. The schooling behavior of a large group of this fish is fascinating. Its natural habitat typically has slow water flow and contains acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter. It requires very clean water to thrive and it will display optimal coloration and health in a planted aquarium with dark substrate, especially where floating plants are present.
While not a picky eater, the Eyespot Rasbora will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of mostly carnivorous foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and live, frozen, or freeze-dried Artemia, microworms, Tubifex, and finely chopped bloodworms will all be readily accepted.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Interesting schooling behavior, expecially in very large schools
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates including dwarf shrimp
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Ideal for nano and planted aquariums
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 77° F (20° - 25° C)
- pH: 4.0 - 7.5, acidic water is preferred
- KH: 3 - 12 dKH
- Minimum Tank Size: 8 gallons
- Diet: Micropredator. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods of appropriate size. Requires a varied diet for optimal health and coloration.
- Social Behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Indonesia
- Average Adult Size: 1.2 - 1.4 inches (3 - 3.5 cm)
- Average Purchase Size: .5-1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!