Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid (Herichthys carpintis), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid is a variant that has spectacular coloration!
The Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid (Herichthys carpintis) is a remarkably colorful Pearlscale Cichlid variant. It is native to Mexico and it grows to a fairly large size, making it an excellent centerpiece fish for larger aquariums.
The Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but it does like to do a fair amount of digging, so plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. This color variant is typically not as aggressive as the typical "wild color" Texas Cichlid (Herichthys cyanoguttatus), so it is sometimes compatible with other peaceful and semi-aggressive fish too large to be considered prey, but is likely to be a dominant fish in the aquarium. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid. This fish can attain a considerable size of up to 8 inches (20 cm) or more, so most ornamental invertebrates will eventually be considered prey. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Electric Blue Escondido Texas Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Supplemental vegetable matter is also required. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
We are offering young specimens of this magnificent fish. They are already displaying superb coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful electric blue marbling across the entire body
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 68° - 86° F (20° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.2
- KH: 0 - 10 KH
- Minimum tank size: 75+ gallons for a pair.
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also required.
- Social behavior: Loosely social until sexual maturity. Breeding pairs are often aggressive to all other similar fish.
- Origin: Tank-Bred, but native to Mexico and possibly southern Texas
- Average adult size: Up to 8 inches (20 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)