Debauwi AKA Three-Stripe African Glass Catfish (Pareutropius buffei)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Debauwi Catfish is a graceful and generally peaceful schooling catfish species that is very active and stays a manageable size!
The Debauwi Catfish (Pareutropius buffei) is a graceful and active fish for the medium to large community planted aquarium. It is known for its unique appearance and its schooling behavior. Unlike many catfish species, this fish is often very active during dailight hours. This fish inhabits many of the waterways of Western Africa as well as other regions of the continent.
The Debauwi Catfish, like most catfish, is a predator, but it has a relatively small mouth. It is not compatible with dwarf shrimp and extremely small fish (such as Boraras microrasboras). It will eat any animals that will fit in its mouth, but is otherwise completely peaceful with all other tankmates. This fish is very timid and must be kept in schools of 6 or more, though a much larger school is ideal. It is not a picky eater overall, but it can sometimes be a bit stubborn in accepting dry foods after initial introduction to the aquarium. During this time, it can be fed a variety of meaty frozen and live foods of appropriate size. It typically will accept dry foods after it becomes acclimated to its environment, but should still be fed a variety of frozen and/or live foods.
A well-established, heavily planted aquarium is the ideal setting for the Debauwi Catfish. It is sensitive to sudden changes in water parameters so regular maintenance is a must. It must never be kept with aggressive or overly boistrous tankmates. Once established, it is usually a relatively resilient fish. Successful spawning in the aquarium has not yet been widely achieved or reported.
- Semi-transparent body with prominent black striping
- Peaceful disposition with any tankmates too large to be swallowed
- Elegant schooling behavior
- Regularly occupies many levels of the aquarium, unlike most catfish
- Perfect for the planted aquarium
- Temperature: 75° - 82.4° F (24° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.5
- KH: 5 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 29 gallons for a school of adult specimens
- Diet: Carnivorous. High-quality flake foods, sinking pellets, freeze-dried or frozen meaty foods will be readily accepted once acclimated, but live and/or frozen foods may be the only foods accepted initially.
- Social behavior: Peaceful with any animals too large to be swallowed. Must be kept in schools of six or more, though larger schools are more ideal.
- Origin: Western Africa
- Average adult size: 3.5 inches (9 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1.5 - 2 inches (3.8 - 5 cm)