Chinese Hillstream Loach (Beaufortia kweichowensis)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We sell these fish in a school of 3 because they are known to do best in groups of 3 or more. These fish are shipped small, but will grow up to 2 to 2-1/2 inches in length. They need plenty of oxygen in the tank to survive, as well as colder temperatures (68° to 75° F). Warmer water has less oxygen in it, so this fish is not likely to survive in temperatures above 75° F. In ideal conditions, they can live for 8 to 10 years. They should be kept in water with a neutral to slightly alkaline pH level.
These fish are peaceful and considered safe to keep with other fish, snails, shrimp, and live plants. They eat algae and other biological matter, as well as most types of fish food. They are primarily bottom-dwellers, but they also spend plenty of time scaling the aquarium walls for algae.
- Extraordinary-looking with its highly unique, hydrodynamic shape and beautiful pattern
- Long lifespan if kept in ideal conditions
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
- Temperature: 61° - 75° F (16° - 24° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons (per school of 3)
- Diet: Omnivorous. Eats algae and will accept high-quality dried foods and meaty foods such as live or frozen bloodworms. Their diet should be supplemented with algae wafers, spirulina, and/or fresh vegetables.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and best kept in groups of 3 or more. Should not be kept with territorial or aggressive tankmates.
- Origin: Xi Jiang (West River) system in southern China
- Average adult size: 2.5 - 3 inches (6.4 - 7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)