Burundi Frontosa Cichlid (Cyphotilapia frontosa), Locally Bred!
$ 16.99 $ 19.99
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are now offering LOCALLY BRED specimens of this remarkable cichlid. These fish are bred by an expert breeder and delivered directly to our facility, which eliminates the otherwise much more stressful and extensive inbound shipment. This is particularly beneficial with this species, which can be sensitive in lengthy shipment.
The beautiful Burundi Frontosa is the most classic cichlid of Lake Tanganyika!
The Burundi Frontosa Cichlid (Cyphotilapia frontosa) is the most classic Tanganyikan cichlid species. This communal cichlid grows to a larger size than most other cichlids that inhabit the massive rift lake, where it is widespread in the northern region. The Burundi Frontosa boasts distinctive black and white striping highlighted with some blue coloration on its fins as it matures. It inhabits very dim, deep, still waters in the lake and prefers these same conditions in the aquarium. This fish is also known as the Humphead Cichlid due to the prominent nuchal hump that mature males develop.
The Burundi Frontosa Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with piles of rocks that form some caves. Sand is the best substrate for this species. It is a gregarious species, so it is best kept in groups. Unlike many Tanganyikan cichlids, individuals of this species do not form individual territories per se, but there is a very distinct hierarchy within each group, so cover must be available for subdominant fish (especially males) to retreat from alpha males. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Burundi Frontosa Cichlid. Other Tanganyikan cichlids too large to be considered prey can make good tankmates in a large enough tank. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether unless the aquarium is of considerable size with ample cover/decor.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Burundi Frontosa Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods will all be readily accepted. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration, so this species should not be fed dry foods exclusively. While it is primarily a carnivore, it also requires vegetable matter in its diet.
We are currently offering locally bred juvenile specimens of this magnificent fish!
What We Like About This Fish:
- Very popular in the aquarium hobby
- Incredible coloration with maturity
- Possible to breed in the aquarium
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73.4° - 81° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 8.0 - 9.0
- KH: 9 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 180 gallons for a group of adults
- Diet: Mostly carnivorous. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live meaty foods is necessary for optimal health and coloration. Some vegetable matter is also necessary.
- Social behavior: Gregarious with its own kind. Can be compatible with durable fish too large to be considered prey
- Origin: Locally bred, but indigenous to Lake Tanganyika, Africa
- Average adult size: 8.7 - 10 inches (22 - 25.5 cm), although some adults reach over 12 inches (30.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm) for juveniles