Bonti AKA Towuti Rainbowfish (Telmatherina bonti)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Bonti Rainbowfish is a lovely Sulawesi species that is relatively new and uncommon to the aquarium hobby!
The Bonti Rainbowfish (Telmatherina bonti), also known as the Towuti Rainbowfish, is native to the warm waters of Lake Towuti in Sulawesi, Indonesia. It lives in very large schools in areas with dense vegetation, so it is an ideal candidate for the planted aquarium and especially enjoys the cover of floating plants. Unlike many rainbowfish, this species does not have extended fin rays. It is highly variable in color, which can include yellow, blue, white, and several combinations of these colors.
The Bonti Rainbowfish is peaceful with other fish species of similar size and can also be kept with peaceful invertebrates that are too large to be considered prey. It may prey on dwarf shrimp at its adult size, although it does not have a particularly large mouth. The most intense color will be displayed when this fish is kept in schools of 6 or more, including multiple males, in a heavily planted, spacious aquarium to ensure that subdominant males are not overly harassed by dominant males. As with many rainbowfish, darker substrate will also often result in better coloration. The Bonti Rainbowfish requires very warm water and high pH.
While this fish will typically accept high quality flake foods, it should also be fed plenty of small frozen or live meaty foods for optimal health and coloration. The Bonti Rainbowfish is a somewhat timid fish, so it can easily be out-competed for food by more aggressive eaters and care must be taken to ensure that it gets its share of food.
The entire family of rainbowfish is popular in freshwater aquaria due to the generally peaceful disposition, hardiness, and beautiful coloration of its members.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Active, schooling community fish that thrives in planted aquariums
- Compatible with most invertebrates too large to be considered prey
- Variable, vivid coloration
- Excellent addition to Sulawesi tanks
- Uncommon in the hobby
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 82° - 86° F (28° - 30° C)
- pH: 7.8 – 8.4. Should not be kept in acidic conditions.
- KH: 15 - 25 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 30 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. High quality dry foods will be accepted, but should be supplemented often with small, meaty frozen and live foods.
- Social behavior: Schooling/shoaling, and should be kept in as large of groups as possible (6-8 fish minimum). Peaceful with most other comparably sized fish but can be timid and can be outcompeted for food. Usually compatible with invertebrates too large to be considered prey.
- Origin: Lake Towuti, Sulawesi, Indonesia
- Average adult size: 3 – 3.2 inches (7.6 - 8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.2 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!