Blue Hygro (Hygrophila salicifolia, AKA H. stricta), bunch
Blue Hygro is a prolific, hardy stem plant that is an excellent choice for the background of the aquarium, even in low-tech setups!
Blue Hygro (Hygrophila salicifolia) is a very hardy, attractive stem plant that develops a blue tint to its leaves. It can thrive in low-tech setups as long as it has moderate to high lighting. As it matures, its leaves provide extensive foliage that is very suitable for the background of the aquarium.
Blue Hygro is an easy plant to maintain. It does not require CO2 supplementation, but it will certainly benefit from it. It will look its best under moderate to high lighting. It can be pruned and cuttings can be replanted for propagation. It will often flower if it is allowed to grow above the water line. Due to the thin texture of its leaves, Blue Hygro is not suitable for aquariums with destructive animals such as crayfish, large cichlids, or goldfish.
Like most plants, Blue Hygro will benefit from supplementation such as Seachem Flourish, Flourish Excel, nitrogen, and other plant supplements.
What We Like About This Plant:
- Attractive blue tint to its leaves
- Prolific growth that is ideal for the aquarium background
- Very easy to propagate
- Provides a great deal of cover for animal fry
- Very hardy and durable in a well-lit, nutrient-rich aquarium
- Temperature: 72° - 77° F (22° - 25° C)
- pH: 6.2 - 7.3
- Lighting: Moderate to High
- Origin: Indigenous to South Asia, cultivated in US nurseries
- Aquarium placement: Background
- Care: Easy
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!