Blue-Green Asian Mussel (Sinanodonta woodiana)
The Blue-Green Asian Mussel is a real gem for the cleanup crew of freshwater aquariums, and it is very attractive as well!
The Blue-Green Asian Mussel (Sinanodonta woodiana) is a fascinating species that is a very colorful variety of the Chinese Pond Mussel. This species is a very resilient and effective aquarium inhabitant when it comes to filter-feeding and removing particulate matter to achieve a supremely clear aquarium!
The Blue-Green Asian Mussel should be at least partially imbedded in the substrate with its opening facing upward. It will diligently skim particulate matter of all sorts from the water column. Aquariums with "greenwater"or suspended detritus problems will very quickly be cleansed in the presence of this clam.
While it is a fairly sedentary species, the Blue-Green Asian Mussel does have a few important requirements. It must be partially embedded in the substrate so that it can filter feed. It also requires a constant food source. In the case of tanks with excessive greenwater, this is no problem. However, in most cases, this clam will clear greenwater in record time. At that point, supplementary feeding is required. Finely crushed, high-quality flake food will suffice. Other very small plant- and animal-based foods will also be readily accepted.
The Blue-Green Asian Mussel is fairly adaptable as long as sudden changes in water parameters/quality are avoided. It must be placed in an area of high water flow in the aquarium. As with most clams and mussels, it should not be exposed to air at length and it ideally should not be disturbed once placed and established in the aquarium. It is completely peaceful and is compatible with any other species that thrive in the same water conditions.
Care must be taken to make sure that the Blue-Green Asian Mussel continues to thrive in the aquarium. If it happens to die, it can release a great deal of ammonia, so it must be monitored daily, especially in smaller aquariums. When healthy, it will display a great desire to close or "clam up" when disturbed.
The Blue-Green Asian Mussel is a highly valuable addition to the freshwater aquarium under the correct conditions. It will constantly filter-feed and clarify the water as long as it is healthy and well-fed. It requires very little additional maintenance and can be a fascinating addition to the nano or planted aquarium!
- Completely peaceful
- Filter-feeds constantly
- Safe with plants
- Requires little maintenance in a well-established aquarium with constant food source(s)
- Excellent coloration
- Temperature: 65° - 85° F (18° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Clams and mussels feed constantly. They gain most of their sustenance from particulate matter in the water column, but will often quickly consume such material. They will also feed on finely crushed flake food when placed in a high-flow area of the aquarium
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: East Asia, including the Philippines
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 3 inches (2.5 - 7.6 cm)