Avocado AKA Golden AKA Bronze Puffer (Auriglobus modestus)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Avocado Puffer is a small, colorful, fast-moving species that is very active and full of personality!
The Avocado Puffer (Auriglobus modestus), also known as the Golden or Bronze Puffer, is a freshwater species that is native to fast-flowing rivers in Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. It sometimes lives in loose groups and grows to an adult size 4.5 inches (11.4 cm). Like many pufferfish, it is very active and has plenty of personality. It is an aggressive species, but can live communally with its own kind and a few other fast-moving species in a spacious, well-decorated tank. Its body shape is designed for navigating fast-flowing waterways, making it much more agile than most pufferfish.
One major key to successfully keeping the Avocado Puffer in a community setting is ample space and décor. Males of this species are particularly territorial and will often claim and defend an area, so more plants, rocks, and driftwood will help to break lines of sight and create more distinct spaces. It will relentlessly attack the fins of slow-moving, long-finned fish, so fish such as bettas are not good tankmates. Since it is native to fast-flowing rivers, it is particularly intolerant of subpar water quality. Regular water changes are an absolute requirement for this species. Also, a full volume turnover of 6-10 times per hour is necessary for any aquarium housing the Avocado Puffer.
Dry foods are often ignored by the Avocado Puffer, although sometimes groups of this fish will learn about new food sources by watching one another try them out. In our experience, it is not a good idea to rely on dry foods as a staple for this fish. It will, however, eat frozen bloodworms and other meaty frozen foods. Its wild diet mostly consists of crustaceans and snails, so it should not be kept with dwarf shrimp or other ornamental invertebrates. On a positive note, it will happily clear any aquarium of any small snails, including the “nuisance” bladder snails that inhabit most planted tanks. Like most pufferfish species, its beak needs worn down through regular feeding of invertebrates whose shells are still intact.
- Highly intelligent with a lively and endearing personality
- Can be kept in a group in a large enough aquarium
- Safe with any plants
- Excellent option for ridding your aquarium of nuisance snails
- Fully freshwater species
- Temperature: 74° - 80° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.8
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 20 gallons (single specimen), 40+ gallons for multiple specimens
- Diet: Carnivorous. Often will not eat dry foods, but frozen foods such as bloodworms will be accepted. Weaning to dry food is more likely with groups of this fish.
- Origin: Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand
- Average adult size: 4 - 4.5 inches (10.2 - 11.4 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 2 inches (2.5 - 5 cm)