Alligator Otocinclus Catfish (Parotocinclus britskii)
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Alligator Otocinclus Catfish is a very small, rare species that has awesome coloration and is a completely peaceful algae eater!
The Alligator Otocinclus Catfish (Parotocinclus britskii) is an extremely rare suckermouth catfish species from Suriname, Guyana, and French Guiana. It is a very impressive nano fish and, like all of its close relatives, is a superb algae eater. It has mottled coloration of many shades of brown, black, and gray. It is one of the smaller species of Oticinclus, and like many of its relatives, is sensitive to declining water quality.
The Alligator Otocinclus Catfish is omnivorous and will continuously feed on algae in the aquarium, but it will not harm most ornamental plants. It is compatible with most other peaceful fish and invertebrates that enjoy the same water conditions, but it might eat very small dwarf shrimp fry as it scavenges. It does eat some animal matter as well. Relatively high water flow and clean water are necessary for this species. Like most Otocinclus, the Alligator Otocinclus Catfish is a schooling species and should be kept in groups.
If sufficient algae is not present in your aquarium, the diet of the Alligator Otocinclus Catfish can be supplemented with fresh vegetables (such as romaine lettuce, cucumber, or zucchini), algae wafers, or vegetable-based flake food. It also require some meaty foods such as Artemia, bloodworms, and blackworms.
- Very uncommon in the aquarium hobby
- Very social personality
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
- Great algae eater for medium and large tanks
- Temperature: 79° - 85° F (26° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 6.8
- KH: 0 - 5 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons for a small group, although a larger aquarium is more optimal
- Diet: Omnivorous. Can mostly sustain on algae. If sufficient algae is not present, diet can be supplemented with fresh vegetables, algae wafers, or vegetable-based flake foods. Also requres some meaty foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Orinico River Basin, French Guyana, Guiana, Suriname
- Average adult size: 1.2 - 2 inches (3 - 5 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)