Uaru Cichlid AKA Triangle Cichlid (Uaru amphiacanthoides), Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Uaru Cichlid is a unique and uncommon cichlid with a peaceful disposition!
The Uaru Cichlid (Uaru amphiacanthoides), also known as the Triangle Cichlid and "Poor Man's Discus" is not commonly seen in the hobby as much as many other South American cichlids. This cichlid displays a brown "mottled" pattern as juveniles, but grows into a distinct white-grey color with a large black spot on their side. This peaceful Amazon River native can be kept in community, as well as semi-aggressive tanks.
The Uaru Cichlid will thrive in an aquarium with a sandy or soft substrate and plenty of refuge such as clay pots, driftwood, and rock formations. It typically will not eat ornamental plants, but plants that attach to driftwood and rockwork are recommended. This cichlid is generally compatible with other peaceful fish including smaller fish such as tetras. Territoriality is typically at its peak during spawning. Dwarf shrimp and other small, delicate invertebrates should not be kept with the Uaru Cichlid, but more durable, larger invertebrates such as snails could possibly make good tankmates in a large enough aquarium. If spawning is desired, tankmates of other species should be kept to a minimum or avoided altogether.
Feeding is simple for the unfussy Uaru Cichlid. High-quality dry, frozen, and live plant-based and meaty foods will all be readily accepted. This species is believed to eat a great deal of plant matter in the wild. Quality and variety are the keys to a diet that will ensure that this fish maintains optimal health and coloration.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful distinct pattern
- Very hardy with plenty of personality
- Peaceful disposition
- Compatible with many other species in a spacious tank
- Potential to be a "centerpiece" fish
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperatre: 82° - 86° F (27° - 30° C)
- pH: 6.0 - 7.0
- Minimum tank size: 40 gallons for a pair
- Diet: Omnivore, but appreciates a vegetable rich diet. A variety of high-quality dry, frozen, and live plant-based and meaty foods are necessary for optimal health and coloration.
- Social behavior: Congregates loosely in groups. Can be territorial during spawning.
- Origin: Brazil and Guyana
- Average adult size: 10-12 inches (25 - 30 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)