* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Royal Tiger Delhezi Bichir is a high-end, beautifully-marked color morph to a classic polypterus species!
The Royal Tiger Delhezi Bichir (Polypterus delhezi "Royal Tiger") is a very rare color morph of the classic Barred Bichir. This particular variant gets its name due to its distinct and exquisite black markings. This fish is very eel-like in appearance and is sometimes referred to as a "dinosaur eel," although it is not a true eel. It is an extremely hardy species that is very versatile. All bichirs posess a modified swim bladder that allows them to breathe atmospheric air and live in water that is very low in oxygen. In fact, they are often able to live out of water for extended periods of time as long as they remain moist.
The Royal Tiger Delhezi Bichir is primarily nocturnal, but will often become active during daytime hours once established in an aquarium with plenty of driftwood, rockwork, and other hiding places. It is not a particularly aggressive fish, but it will eat fish and invertebrates that are small enough to be considered prey. It will generally ignore all other tankmates. Adult bichirs can sometimes be territorial with one another, but they just as often will share hiding places and be completely peaceful with one another. While it is an extraordinarily hardy species, the Royal Tiger Delhezi Bichir requires a large aquarium with plenty of floor space and powerful filtration.
Feeding is very easy for the unfussy Royal Tiger Delhezi Bichir. It requires a varied diet for optimal health, but will readily accept virtually all high-quality live, frozen, and dry meaty foods of appropriate size.
Bichirs are not afraid to jump or leave the water, so a tight-fitting lid is necessary to prevent them from escaping the aquarium. They also must be able to come to the surface to breathe occasionally.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Stunning black bar pattern
- Exceptionally hardy and adaptable
- Unfussy regarding diet
- Ideal "community" large fish/predator
- Will not eat plants
- Stays smaller than most upper and lower jaw species
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 77° - 82° F (25° - 28° C)
- pH: 6.2 - 7.8
- KH: 5 - 20 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 125 gallons for an adult
- Diet: Carnivorous. Requires a variety of meaty live, frozen, and dry foods
- Social behavior: Generally solitary, peaceful with species too large to be considered prey
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous throughout much of Western Africa
- Average adult size: Up to 16 inches (41 cm), but a maximum of 14 inches (36 cm) is more typical in the aquarium
- Average purchase size: 3 - 4.5 inches (7.6 - 11.4 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!