* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Red Tail Hemiodus is an uncommon and beautiful shoaling species that makes a great addition to any aquarium!
The Red Tail AKA Slender Hemiodus (Hemiodus gracilis) is an interesting and uncommon characin found in South America. It is part of a small characin family that is native to Venezuela and Brazil. This beautifully marked species can grow to an impressive size of 6.4 inches! It is a generally peaceful species and a wonderful addition to the medium to large aquarium.
The Red Tail Hemiodus is generally peaceful with other fish of similar size. It is somewhat skittish when settling into its home, but very active when settled in. This is the perfect shoaling fish for a mid to large sized Amazon Biotope. That being said, the Red Tail Hemiodus should be kept in groups of at least 3. This species loves plant matter, but could potentially prey on very small invertebrates, so it should not be kept with small shrimp. It is a hardy species as long as it has plenty of space in a well-maintained aquarium. Like many characins, the Red Tail Hemiodus is a skilled jumper, so a secure lid is necessary for its aquarium.
The Red Tail Hemiodus is an omnivore. It will feed on algae in the aquarium, but it might also eat some ornamental plants. It requires some meaty foods, but should not be fed a diet that is particularly high in animal protein.
What We Like About This Fish:
- Beautiful markings
- Hardy and outgoing once established in the aquarium
- Very peaceful fish
- Ideal "community" medium to large fish
- Very uncommon
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 73° - 81° F (23° - 27° C)
- pH: 5.8 - 7.2
- KH: 4 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 75 gallons for multiple specimens
- Diet: Omnivorous. Requires a diet with plenty of vegetable/plant matter as well as some meaty foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, must be kept in groups to avoid stress
- Origin: Venezuela and Brazil
- Average adult size: Up to 6.4 inches (16.25 cm)
- Average purchase size: 2.5 - 3 inches (6.4 - 7.6 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!