Blue Diamond Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi) aka Sapphire Shrimp, Tank-Bred!
The deep blue coloration and transparency of these shrimp is reminiscent of a multifaceted sapphire. Not only are these shrimp gorgeous to behold, they also clean your tank and are a blast to watch! They are very active and breed extremely quickly. These are the same species as Red Cherry Shrimp and Neon Yellow Shrimp (Neocaridina davidi, formerly Neocaridina heteropoda). In fact, these shrimp were bred from Chocolate Shrimp, which are a deep brown variant of the Neocaridina davidi species. Care requirements for Blue Diamond Shrimp are essentially the same as Red Cherry Shrimp, and they are just as prolific.
These are freshwater shrimp and are very popular for planted tanks and community tanks. Many people use them in large aquariums for waste management and algae control. We generally ship young adult shrimp that are already of breeding age (so around 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch in length). They will reach about 1 inch in length as fully grown adults. Some younger shrimp have not reached their full potential yet and will become a deeper blue color as long as they are comfortable in the tank.
- Gorgeous deep blue coloration
- Completely peaceful with all non-aggressive tankmates
- Safe with all plants
- Excellent scavenger
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons, recommended 10 gallon minimum for a colony
- Temperature: 64° - 78° F (17.8° - 25.5° C)
- pH: 6.8 - 7.5
- dGH: 6 - 15
- dKH: 0 - 10
- TDS: 180 - 400
- Diet: Scavenger that feeds continually. Requires very little feeding in a well-established aquarium containing algae, biofilm, or decaying plant matter. In less mature aquariums, high quality dry foods with high plant content can be fed multiple times daily.
- Aquatic Arts Snowflake Premium Shrimp Food & Aquatic Arts Pollen Granules Premium Shrimp Food are excellent supplements to the diet of any shrimp. Give them a try and your shrimp will thank you for the tasty treat!
- Natural Botanicals are a great way to boost the immune system of your shrimp and they will also provide lots of essential biofilm for the shrimp to graze on.
- Social behavior: Peaceful. A small group can continually replenish and grow its population
- Origin: Tank-bred , but wild populations indigenous to Taiwan
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 3/4 inch (1.3 - 1.9 cm)