Black Saddle Guppy, (Poecilia reticulata), Males and Females, Tank-Bred
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
This uniquely beautiful guppy variety is an excellent fish for the nano, community, and planted aquarium!
The Black Saddle Guppy (Poecilia reticulata var. "Black Saddle Guppy") is a rarely seen color strain of the classic guppy that has only very recently become available. This guppy boasts a black stripe across its body complimented with a pearlescent silver/blue color. The Black Saddle Guppy also has a beautiful tail pattern and slightly gold stomach. As with other guppies, females are less colorful, but females of this variety still have a great tail pattern. It also has a long, flowing tail and dorsal fin that add to its extremely elegant appearance. This is a truly striking, beautiful fish that could be the centerpiece of any aquarium. Females of this variety are very rare and, when available, typically command a very high price.
Guppies typically occupy the top level of the water column, although they can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. They are also not afraid to jump, so they must be kept in an aquarium with either a lid/hood/canopy or at least a significantly lowered water level. They will not eat or bother plants. They are safe with other peaceful fish as long as the other fish are not known to nip at the long tail of the guppy. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but guppies may eat shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. Guppies are best kept in groups.
While not a picky eater, the Black Saddle Guppy will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods with supplementation of some nutritious plant matter. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried foods will all be readily accepted.
This fish is rarely available, so don’t wait too long to order if we have it in stock!
- Beautiful contrasting coloration
- Rare color morph
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Hardy and adaptable
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 64° - 82° F (18° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 8.0
- KH: 10 - 30 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to Northern South America
- Average adult size: 2.5 inches (6.3 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)