Black Diamond Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi var. "Black Diamond") - Tank-Bred!
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship live fish exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
The Black Diamond Neon Tetra is a very rare, black variant of the classic Neon Tetra, a very colorful and active nano fish!
The Black Diamond Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi var. "Black Diamond") is an excellent choice for the community aquarium, especially planted aquariums. This variant of the classic Neon Tetra is fairly new to the hobby and is not commonly available. This is a very peaceful fish that is suitable for beginners and experts alike! Please note that this is a black variant of the true Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi), NOT the more common Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi), which is an entirely different species.
The Black Diamond Neon Tetra typically occupies the top and middle level of the water column, although it can often be seen swimming and feeding in the middle and bottom levels as well. It is safe with other peaceful, small fish. Adult dwarf shrimp are generally safe as well, but adult the Black Diamond Neon Tetra may prey on dwarf shrimp fry. Larger, peaceful invertebrates can also make good tankmates. The Black Diamond Neon Tetra must be kept in schools of 6 or more. Since it is tank-raised, this fish is very adaptable, but its natural habitat contains soft, acidic water rich in tannins and leaf litter.
While not a picky eater, the Black Diamond Neon Tetra will thrive and remain very colorful on a varied diet of meaty foods. High-quality flake food, pellets, and frozen or freeze-dried meaty foods will all be readily accepted.
- Incredible overall black coloration
- Peaceful disposition with fish and peaceful invertebrates
- Very active and noticeable fish in any aquarium
- Excellent for inhabiting the top of the aquarium
- Temperature: 68° - 82° F (20° - 27.7° C)
- pH: 5.5 - 7.0 (more acidic water is preferred)
- KH: 4 - 8 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons
- Diet: Omnivorous. Will easily accept high quality dry and frozen foods.
- Social behavior: Peaceful, schooling/shoaling.
- Origin: Tank-bred, but indigenous to South America
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
Average purchase size: 1/4 - 1 inch (0.6 - 2.5 cm)