Assorted Sulawesi Rabbit Snail (Tylomelania sp.), BREDBY: Aquatic Arts
* For the safety of our animals, we now ship Sulawesi Snails exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
We are proud to offer some Juvenile Orange, Black, and Gold/Yellow Sulawesi Rabbit Snails that we cultivated ourselves at our facility! This is an opportunity for you to get some for your tank while their shells are most pristine and colorful!
Sulawesi Rabbit Snails (Tylomelania sp.) are one of the rarest snails in the aquarium hobby. Also known as Elephant Snails, their natural habitat is in Indonesia and they are only rarely seen in the United States. The "Rabbit" name likely comes from their rabbit-like faces and drooping antennae that resemble a rabbit's ears. However, the resemblance to an elephant is also clear with their wrinkled, rubbery-looking skin and their long "snouts" (which is functionally more like the snail's foot). Needless to say, these snails are certainly unique in appearance in several aspects!
Our Juvenile Giant Sulawesi Snails possess bodies with a beautiful yellow or orange coloration, and their shells are black or very dark brown and sometimes feature a white crown. Their shells are long and spiral-shaped and taper toward a point at the end, which makes the shell resemble unicorn's horn in shape. These snails seem curious by nature, and each snail uses its elongated, muscular "foot" to pull itself around on the glass and aquarium decor. This is a very striking snail and is sure to impress viewers, almost all of which will have never seen one before.
Giant Sulawesi Snails are one of the largest freshwater snails in the world, growing as large as 4 inches as adults. Since they can grow so large, they need room to move, so it's a good idea to avoid dense vegetation or overcrowding in your aquarium. They are decent algae-eaters, but they also feed on leftover food and any kind of fish food. While most aquatic plants are safe from these snails, they have been known to munch on more delicate or thin-leaved plants.
***All of our Rabbit Snails are born and raised at our facility***
What We Like About These Snails:
- Beautiful bright orange and yellow/gold bodies and long, spiraled shells
- Interesting movement and curious nature
- Completely peaceful
- Grow to a large and impressive size
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 84° F (24.4° - 29° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.5
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 10 gallons per snail
- Diet: They eat algae and decaying plant matter, and they have also been known to munch on more delicate plants. They can mostly subsist on leftover fish/invertebrate flakes or pellets, but their diets should be occasionally supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Tank-Bred but wild populations found in Sulawesi region of Indonesia
- Average adult size: 3 inches (7.6 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 – 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!