Liven up your aquarium with Nerite Snails of two different varieties (Tiger Nerite + Zebra Nerite)! These beautiful snails are great for giving your aquarium some exotic flair, but they also serve some very useful purposes. They clean algae off of glass, plants, and decorations, they eat hair algae, and they keep your substrate clean.
Nerite Snails are widely believed to be the best snail in the aquarium hobby for eating algae. They are totally safe with any fish, shrimp, or plants, and are completely peaceful. Nerite Snails require salt water to reproduce, so they will never overpopulate your aquarium (as some freshwater snails are known to do).
Each type of Nerite Snail's shells are diverse and totally unique! Tiger Nerite Snails (Neritina semiconica) have shells that are a lovely dark amber color with small black marking that form encircling stripes! Zebra Nerite Snails (Neritina natalensis) have gold and black zebra-like stripes running all the way down.
These Nerite Snails range from 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter. They usually will remain around 1 inch throughout their lifespan, but the occasional snail will reach 1 1/2 inches! They do not eat plants (only algae), so they are perfectly suitable for planted tanks.
When keeping any type of Nerite Snails, it's a good idea to make sure the water line in your aquarium isn't too high, as these snails tend to climb up beyond the water line. Additionally, Nerite Snails do not tolerate water with high nitrate levels. All freshwater snails are very sensitive to copper, so watch out for copper if you use tap water in your tank.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Among the most voracious algae-eating snails
- Do not reproduce in freshwater
- Safe with plants
- Completely peaceful
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 65° - 85° F (18° - 29° C)
- pH: 6.5 - 8.0
- KH: 5 - 12 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: Nerite Snails can subsist on algae if there is enough present in the aquarium. Their diet can be supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Northeast, East, and South Africa (Zebra Nerite), India and Indo-Pacific (Tiger Nerite)
- Average adult size: 1 - 1.5 inches (2.5 - 3.8 cm)
- Average purchase size: .5 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!