* For the safety of our animals, we now ship Sulawesi Snails exclusively via UPS Next Day Air. If your order contains this item, you will only see UPS Next Day Air as a shipping option during checkout *
These miniature Sulawesi snails are awesome algae eaters for the nano aquarium!
Golden Rabbit Snails (Tylomelania zemis) are one of the rarest snails in the aquarium hobby. Also known as Elephant Snails, their natural habitat is in Indonesia and they are only rarely seen in the United States. The "Rabbit" name likely comes from their rabbit-like faces and drooping antennae that resemble a rabbit's ears. However, the resemblance to an elephant is also clear with their wrinkled, rubbery-looking skin and their long "snouts" (which is functionally more like the snail's foot). Needless to say, these snails are certainly unique in appearance in several aspects!
Golden Rabbit Snails possess bodies with a beautiful golden coloration, and their shells are black or very dark brown with white crowns. Their shells are long and spiral-shaped and taper toward a point at the end, which makes the shell resemble unicorn's horn in shape. These snails seem curious by nature, and each snail uses its elongated, muscular "foot" to pull itself around on the glass and aquarium decor. This is a very striking snail and is sure to impress viewers, almost all of which will have never seen one before.
Mini Golden Rabbit Snails don't grow any larger than 1 inch in length, making them one of the smaller (and more adorable!) snails we have to offer. They are decent algae-eaters, but they also feed on leftover food and any kind of fish food. While most aquatic plants are safe from these snails, they have been known to munch on more delicate or thin-leaved plants.
There are reports of successful breeding of these snails in the aquarium, but they generally reproduce too slowly for overpopulation to be a concern.
What We Like About These Snails:
- Unique appearance
- Interesting movement and curious nature
- Completely peaceful
- Great for nano aquariums because they remain small throughout their lifespans
RECOMMENDED TANK PARAMETERS:
- Temperature: 76° - 84° F (24.4° - 29° C)
- pH: 7.5 - 8.5
- KH: 2 - 15 dKH
- Minimum tank size: 2 gallons per snail
- Diet: They eat algae and decaying plant matter, and they have also been known to munch on more delicate plants. They can mostly subsist on leftover fish/invertebrate flakes or pellets, but their diets should be occasionally supplemented with algae wafers and/or blanched vegetables such as zucchini, kale, spinach, or cucumber.
- Warning! Avoid any food product, medication, or plant fertilizer that contains Copper of any form. Copper is toxic to invertebrates. Many commercial fish foods, medications, and plant fertilizers contain copper or more commonly copper sulfate. Always look at the ingredient list for any product going into the aquarium to ensure they are copper free.
- Social behavior: Peaceful and solitary; will not engage with tankmates.
- Origin: Sulawesi region of Indonesia
- Average adult size: 1 inch (2.5 cm)
- Average purchase size: 1/2 - 1 inch (1.3 - 2.5 cm)
All Aquatic Arts brand plants and animals come with a 100% live arrival guarantee, plus free email support!